Monday, March 22, 2010

Access to technology for low-income students

There is one thing that has been on mind as I have been completing the ICT tasks and that is students that do not have computers at home and the many families that cannot afford a broadband subscription. By using more and more technology within the classroom it may begin to highlight the 'have' and 'have-nots' withinh the Australian Education system. The students that do not have home computers do not have the ability to consolidate their knowledge at home, so as teachers we need to be aware of this.

The education system needs to address this imbalance so that students do not become disadvantaged within the school system. I remember a laptop scheme for students? I think this is for high-school students, when really primary students needs this technology.

I think it will be important to set tasks within the classroom in relation to ICTs and if we use them for homework - ensuring all students have access to a computer out of hours.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    I agree whole-heartedly with your comments - we as educators, definitely have to be aware of this and ensure that those students who do not have ready access at home to this technology, are given the opportunity whilst engaging at school.

    With regard to computer access in primary, I know that when my nephew and niece were in Year 7, each student was provided with a notebook to use. They were able to take it home with them to complete homework tasks and assessment pieces. I also remember how excited they were when they received the notebooks.

    Cheers
    Annie - GDLT Secondary, Rockhampton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,
    You make some excellent points in this posting. This is something I had not considered, as I mainly think about students using computers at school. I didnt own a computer going through primary school, but had access to some through libraries, two in the classroom for math games etc. It is possible to help those who may be disadvantaged in this area.

    Regards,
    Toni Jordan

    ReplyDelete